Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Am I Living It Right?"

I am not even 22 yet but I'm already going on 45. No, I don't look like a 45 year old, and I certainly do not have the life experience of someone that age; however, I do feel like I am having some kind of life crisis waiting for life to pick up and the adventure to begin...to quote John Mayer, this "must be a quarter life crisis". (I know what you're thinking, and I realize that a quarter might be 25, but let's face it, not many people make it to 100 these days.)

Everyone keeps telling me to "travel and see the world...there's nothing tying you down"...which is very true and something I just might do...once I am finished school of course. It seems life is taking a spot on the back burner once again because of an education that will be my meal ticket in the future. Four long years of university completed with one more to go...it had better be worth it in the end.

This isn't to say I haven't had some good times over the past four years or that the next year won't be amazing. In fact, I kind of look at this year as an adventure in itself. I liken it to having Christmas all year long actually. You see, teaching is something I have wanted to do since I was old enough to be in school. (Ah, the glory days of nap time and finger painting...) Each year going back to school was something I looked forward to; it gave me butterflies in my stomach and chills up my arms. I haven't felt that way about going back to school in years, but this year is different.

This year, I get to go "back to school" shopping for professional attire and a new plaid book bag. I've bought my pens,pencils and every kind of utensil made for colouring, and of course oodles of glue for all of those crafty art projects. I'm ready to be the person who has an extra eraser to borrow or a sharpener ready to sharpen the pencil that will record history. All that's missing now is a pair of indoor and outdoor shoes, and I'm right back into the thrill of a new school year.

As excited as I am for all of the new people I'm going to meet and the fun we're going to have and memories that will be made, I was also thinking of all of the thrills I will be able to experience once I am done teacher's college. To be honest it kind of sends my head spinning. I think about going abroad to teach and make new friends in the UK, or heading to Canada's true Great White North (which I've been told is the equivalent to leaving the country without requiring a passport). I've thought about staying in school another year or two and getting my Master of Education, or just working at the local call center until a teaching job in this area opens up just for me. The options are endless and I don't know where to start. Maybe I should just put them all in a hat and pull out a winner...oh to be so daring.

I realize that nobody will read this blog, and if you are...now you know what goes through my mind: a bunch of jumbled, ill shaped thoughts with no clear decisive outcome. But that's what lyrics are like, right? Welcome to the Lyrics of my Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment